Monday, April 23, 2012

Space Opera

Before taking this class I literally had no idea that some of my favorite movies were space operas. Yet I also had no idea what a space opera was. One of the prime examples of this is the original Star Wars. There is nothing more melodramatic or romantic than this. And with a some huge dosage of adventure, Star Wars makes the perfect space opera. I can see why sci fi/ space opera was dominate in the 1930's and 1940's just due to the subject matter. You have this huge narrative stage in a "galaxy far far away," crazy technology, and whole other empires. It is a really attractive setting. I enjoy the genre because it makes you think of what the future will be like and what technology will become. I have to say though in the most recent revival of space opera I haven't been that interested. While watching Firefly or Serenity it just seemed to fake or the characters were just too pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment